Instead of the traditional – “I’ve always had a camera in my hand” about section – here’s the skinny on me……by the way, that’s me up there on my first day of school a few years ago
How did you arrive at running this business? What path brought you here?
I started out a few years ago taking my first DSLR camera along to a couple of friends weddings and had really taken an interest in improving and developing my skills and knowledge. I received a lot of great feedback and encouragement from friends, family and even strangers on the work I was producing. So in November 2009 I decided to take on photography at another level.
I’m pretty easy-going in general and I’ve carried that approach over into my photography. I offer my clients a relaxed atmosphere that is fun more than anything else.
My style is definitely within the photojournalism/storytelling category and capturing those moments when my clients are the most relaxed. In my opinion this is when you get the best images!
What’s the one problem you are best at solving for your clients? What do your ideal clients say about you?
I’m good at making my clients relax and enjoy the portrait process. Whether I’m photographing them for a wedding or another special occasion – it’s my goal that they have fun and enjoy themselves. It doesn’t have to be a torturous experience!
My ideal client would say that I am fun, energetic, easy to work with, talented and that they have confidence in my process and the product they’ll receive.
What are you most passionate about professionally? What most excites you about your work & the contribution you can make?
I’m most passionate about creating images that my clients will love for as long as they look at them. I get excited every time I pick up my camera and head out for a shoot as I never know what the day will throw at me.
What are you passionate about personally? What do you really enjoy?
Personally, there are a lot of things that I love or am a big fan of – in no particular order:
- Mountain biking /Hiking/Snowboarding – anything outdoors.
- Music – Some fav’s include: The Tragically Hip; Hey Rosetta!; The Beatles; Pearl Jam; Jack Johnson; The Killers; Coldplay; and WAY too many more to list here. Recently listening to Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.
- Nothing better than a great movie – Saving Private Ryan; Braveheart; The Godfather Pt II; Wedding Crashers; Old School; Superbad; Top Gun; Gladiator.
- Gill – my better half.
- Duke – our Labrador Retriever who can be a pain in the butt but I wouldn’t’ trade him for anything.
- Sour Cream ‘N Onion chips
- Scottsburn Chocolate Milk and only Scottsburn – NOT Central Diaries. If you drink Central Diaries Chocolate Milk and say it’s better than Scottsburn I may not be able to work with you! ; )
- My mother’s lasagna.
- Manna Bakery breaded chicken sandwich – mmmmmm.
- A good cup of coffee.
- Press & Bean’s Panini Sandwiches.
- All things Apple.
- A good steak.
- An ice-cold beer on a hot summer day.
- A good bottle of red wine.
- TV – in no particular order: Lost; Seinfeld; Dexter; Entourage; The Sopranos; Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
What would be impossible for you to give up?
The intangibles – Pizza; Chocolate Milk; and the Interweb.
And there you have it!